Cupcakes to go

Cupcakes to go: 1,019

Monday, May 28, 2012

22 Lemon Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing



So I haven't made cupcakes in a while. It's about time that I do. Mom got another little recipe book to add to the crazy collection of cookbooks that we already have. It was my first time working at night in a while, so I took advantage of my morning off to bake!


As you know, I don't like to use cake mixes when I bake "homemade" cupcakes for my friends. It's a Betty Crocker recipe book, so naturally they suggest using their cake mix. These are pretty simple cupcakes, so you shouldn't need to buy much, if nothing at all. With the help of my lovely assistant, played by my sister, we zested a whole lemon and had plenty of fresh lemon juice for the cupcakes. The recipe for the icing made a lot. We loaded it on the cupcakes. Since it's mostly butter, make sure you put them in the fridge so the icing doesn't get melty, especially since it's been particularly summery out.

This is why you should crack your eggs
in a seperate bowl... not right into your
cupcake batter.

The cupcakes are ah-maze-ing! The cupcakes are really light and airy, just how I like them. The lemon was the perfect amount. Not too strong, too citrus-y, or too zesty. The icing is so smooth and I love the 1/2 inch of buttery, white chocolaty deliciousness. The purple sprinkles were my choice, it just made them pretty for the most part. I definitely recommend making these cupcakes.

Cupcake Tip: Leave a spot empty, so it's
easier to pull the cupcake trays out of the oven.

Cupcake Ingredients
1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Fresh out of the oven

Cupcake How to
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for cupcakes, using water, oil and egg whites and adding lemon peel and lemon juice.
3. Cool 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely.

White Chocolate Icing

Frosting Ingredients
1 1/2 c white chocolate baking chips
1 1/2 c butter, softened
1 c powdered sugar

Frosting How to
1. In a small microwave bowl, microwave baking chips uncovered on high for about 1 minute, stirring once, until softened and chips can be stirred smooth; cool.
2. In large bowl,  beat butter and powdered sugar with electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add melted chips, beating on high speed until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
3. Frost cupcakes.

Garnish with edible or candy flowers.



from Betty Crocker best cupcakes and more

1 comment: