Cupcakes to go

Cupcakes to go: 1,019

Saturday, May 12, 2012

24 Maple Jameson Cupcakes


So if it isn't some one's birthday, it's some one's last day at work. Those seem to be the only two reasons I bake cupcakes. One of our managers is leaving. I asked him, "what kind of cupcakes do you want?". He responded, "something with alcohol". Really no surprise there. My next question was, "What's your favorite alcohol?" And to that he simply said, "Jameson". Now on my search for cupcakes with Jameson in them, I found a lot of recipes for Irish Car Bomb cupcakes. I didn't want that. Eventually, these turned up.


These vanilla cupcakes are awesome. The only advice I have is to add the milk with the mixer on. If you add it then turn the mixer on, it will splash everywhere. I have finally learned from my mistakes and didn't make a mess. The cupcakes are light and fluffy, very, very easy to make, and sugar in a good way (not like a really sweet way). For the maple and Jameson icing, I only used 4 cups of powdered sugar. It only tasted like a normal butter cream icing. I added more maple syrup, about a tablespoon. Then, it tasted maple-y enough, but I could barely taste the Jameson. I added more, a little for taste, but mostly to thin out the icing. If you use milk in your icing, like the recipe recommends, you need to keep your cupcakes refrigerated.

I was surprised that I liked these cupcakes. I was afraid that the whiskey would be too strong. I think that it wasn't mostly because I used Jameson. It's not a cheap whiskey for sure so the quality definitely comes through in the flavor. The plain vanilla cupcakes work well with the icing. The cupcakes make the overall taste sweet and buttery, not so much from the icing. First, you get the taste of the maple and then, in the end, the alcohol taste lingers. It's not too much that it's bitter. These are the first cupcakes with alcohol that I've made, where the alcohol isn't overpowering.


Cupcake Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 c flour
1 1/4 c milk

Cupcake How to
1. Beat the butter and sugar well, then add the rest of the ingredients.
2. Fill cups and bake at 375 for 18-20

Icing Ingredients
1 c butter
2 Tbsp maple syrup or extract
2 Tbsp Jameson or other Irish whiskey
4-6 c powdered sugar

Icing How to
1. Combine butter, syrup, Jameson, and 2 c sugar in a large bowl and beat on medium high until smooth.
2. Add remaining sugar gradually until the frosting is thick enough to pipe easily. You may not use all the sugar. If the icing is too dry, add additional milk until desired consistency is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment