Cupcakes to go

Cupcakes to go: 1,019

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

16 Dark & White Fudge Cupcakes


Since I have undertaken writing this cupcake blog, a friend of mine bought me a cupcake recipe book. After paging through it about a dozen times (at least half of those times while we were at work), I settled on these. I wasn't going to bake cupcakes tonight actually, but I feel obligated to bake these for work for a few reasons. 1. Right now most of my followers are my coworkers. 2. One of my awesome managers, who just came back today, will be leaving again and he's missed out on a few good cupcakes while he was away. (and he is probably my biggest fan) 3. Any reason to make cupcakes is good enough for me.



Just a warning.... I had a few "moments" while baking. When I started going through the recipe for these cupcakes, I thought it was kind of weird, but, like any good baker, I just kept on chugging, following the recipe, and doing what it told me to do. The first step has you making this mixture on the stove. Do Not forget to add the corn syrup like I did. I added it later and everything turned out alright. I expected it to be a little thicker and syrup-ier. Mine was pretty runny and very much a liquid, so don't freak out. Next stupid "moment" I had: It's only 3 tablespoons of milk, not 3 cups. How I did that, I have no clue. It's okay to add the syrup mix to the dry ingredients while it's still warm. The batter gets really thick and fudgey, while you're mixing it. When the cupcakes are done baking, they look like pretty, little domes.


Making the frosting didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. I also edited the recipe a little. First, I melted the white chocolate. I used 1/4 of white chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of butter. It would be a good idea to either plan ahead and use a medium bowl for the double boiler, or pour the melted chocolate mixture into a larger bowl. I used the same small bowl that I used for the double boiler to mix the powdered sugar in. Needless to say, I made a giant, sugary mess. When I melted the semisweet chocolate, I used the squares of chocolate. It was a total failure. I ended up not using it at all. Maybe I should have used chocolate chips instead? Maybe I should have used the exact 1 3/4 tablespoon of butter? I tried to save it with no luck. But for a little good luck, I had enough of the white to frost all of my cupcakes. The book suggests using chocolate curls to decorate the cupcakes. I just placed 3 chocolate chips on top. No cutting or danger involved.
In the end, I made awesome cupcakes that earn their namesake and I got to christen my new cookbook with powdered sugar and chocolate shavings.



Ingredients for the Cupcakes
1 c water
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 c sugar
1 Tbsp corn syrup
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened coca

How To
Preheat the oven to 350.
Put the water, butter, sugar, and syrup in a pan. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook gently for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Meanwhile, put the milk and vanilla extract in a bowl. Add the baking soda and stir to dissolve. Sift the flour and cocoa into a separate bowl and add the syrup mixture. Stir in the milk and beat until smooth. Spoon the batting into the paper cases until they are two-thirds full.
Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until will risen and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

Ingredients for the Topping
1 3/4 oz semisweet chocolate
4 Tbsp water
3 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 3/4 oz white chocolate
3 c powdered sugar

How to
To make the topping, break the semisweet chocolate into a small heatproof bowl, add half the water and half the butter, and set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water until melted. Stir until smooth and let stand over the water. Using another bowl, repeat with the white chocolate and remaining water and butter. Sift half the sugar into each bowl and beat until smooth and thick. Top the cupcakes up with the frostings. Let set. Serve decorated with chocolate curls made by shaving the chocolate with a potato peeler.

from Easy Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment