Cupcakes to go

Cupcakes to go: 1,019

Monday, March 19, 2012

30 Chocolate Cupcakes

How much does a cupcake cost?



For as long as I can remember, we've always just had baking stuff on hand. Flour, baking powder, vanilla, eggs, and all the other necessary ingredients were always (and still are) in stock in the various cupboards of our kitchen. So, when people ask me how much it costs me to make the cupcakes they enjoy, I could never give them an answer. Honestly, I never even thought about it, until today. While I was wandering around the grocery store, I wrote down all the prices for every ingredient needed for these basic chocolate cupcakes. I used a lot of math that I didn't think I'd ever apply, but I got the numbers (hopefully they're right).


The cupcakes were a lot easier to make than doing the math was. It only took one bowl. I normally use an ice cream scoop to put the batter into the cupcake pan, but since the batter turns out really thin, I think pouring the batter from a measuring cup with a spout would be less messy. I took the cupcakes out after the 20 minutes and they were perfectly baked. These cupcakes are really moist and perfectly chocolaty. It's a simple cupcake to whip up, just like chocolate cupcakes should be.


Ingredients
$.5214815               2 c sugar
0.18986301            1 3/4 c flour
0.01079365            1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1.31792597             3/4 c cocoa
0.03762712            1 1/2 tsp baking powder
0.29333334            2 eggs
price negligible      1 tsp salt
0.27125                    1 c milk
0.23166668            1/2 c vegetable oil
0.78933328           2 tsp vanilla
2.99644127 total

That's less than 10  a cupcake!!

How to
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line the cupcake pans.
2. Stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the boiling water.
5. Fill cupcake papers 2/3 full
6. Bake for 22-24 minutes.


I just topped these cupcakes off with a basic butter cream icing that I colored purple. If you don't like your icing super sweet, don't add as much sugar. I feel 1/2 cup less is just right.

Ingredients
4 c powdered sugar
2 sticks of butter
1 tsp vanilla
hot water

How to
Beat the ingredients in a mixer. Add hot water until the desired consistency is reached. If the icing gets too runny, add more sugar.

If you're wondering how much the icing cost... About 7  a cupcake.

cupcake recipe from glorioustreats.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. THESE CUPCAKES ARE GORGEOUS and look delicious! -Steph

    ReplyDelete