Cupcakes to go

Cupcakes to go: 1,019

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

22 Gregberry Cupcakes

A Girl's Adventure in Inventing Her Own Cupcakes


In my whole life, I'm sure I've used over 2,000 cupcake papers, but in all my years of cupcaking, I have always looked up a recipe. I've had many intense brain storming sessions about cupcake flavors to make. After considering many suggestions, I thought that a strawberry and blueberry cupcake sounded like a good plan for my undertaking in becoming a recipe author. The recommendation came from the coolest, nicest, awesomest general manager ever in the universe (for whom the cupcakes get their namesake). I've been thinking about how and what to do with these cupcakes. Should I use fresh strawberries or strawberry jelly or strawberry soda? Should I have a whipped icing or a cream cheese icing? That's just the start of all the questions I've asked myself over the past 2 weeks. Over the weekend, I did extensive cupcake research and settled on what I was going to do to make this dream of a cupcake come to life.

Since I've made plenty of cupcakes, I knew what the batter needed to look like each step of the way. So I began. I added the normal cupcake ingredients in the same way I normally would if I was following a recipe in a book. Everything went very smoothly to my surprise. The batter was perfect. They went in and came out 19 minutes later. They were perfect! I had to taste them. I'm not going to lie about it, just so you make these miracle cupcakes. They kind of disappointed me at first. The fresh strawberries didn't give them enough of a strawberry flavor. They are tasty though, like a self contained strawberry shortcake.


Even though I felt very ambitious, making cupcakes from my own invented concoction an all, I wasn't about to make everything from scratch. The cheesecake pudding mix is just enough pudding-y and cheesecake-y to make the perfect cupcake filling and be the perfect compliment to the store bought blueberry pie filling. After I cored the cupcakes, I squashed the loose cake in the middle  down with the end of a spoon to leave plenty of room to fill the cupcakes. I used a zippy bag to squeeze the cheesecake pudding into the cupcakes and two spoons to put the pie filling in (one to scoop up the pie filling and the other to scrape it off the spoon and into the cupcakes).

I made the icing just as I would make any other butter cream icing, only adding  strawberry puree and blueberry pie filling. In the end, it's your preference. If you want your icing to taste more blueberry or strawberry add more of whichever you like best.

I think that, considering this was my first journey in recipe writing, I did pretty well. When I took the first bite of the completed project, I literally said "oh my god, these are amazing". And to think this recipe came from the deep recesses of my brain... to me that's unbelievable.

Gotta save the strawberry tops for my Bunnies

Cupcake Ingredients
3/4 c strawberries
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c milk

Cupcake How to
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Chop the strawberries into small pieces.
3. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mix well between each egg. Add vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
5. Alternate adding the dry ingredients (in 3 parts) and milk (in 2 parts).
6. Fill cupcake papers 2/3 full. Bake for about 18 minutes.
7. Allow the cupcakes to cool entirely

Filling Ingredients
instant pudding mix- cheesecake flavored
blueberry pie filling

Filling How to
1. Follow the instructions to make the pudding. Allow it to set (usually about 5 minutes)
2. Core the cupcakes.
3. Using a bag, fill the cupcakes 2/3 of the way full with pudding.
4. Fill the rest of the way with blueberry pie filling.

Remember to leave some room for the Blueberries
Icing Ingredients
2 sticks of butter
4 c powdered sugar
1/4 c of strawberries, pureed
2 tsp heaping blueberry pie filling

Icing How to
1. Cream together sugar and butter until fluffy.
2. Add half of the pureed strawberries. Add blueberries.
3. Continue adding more strawberry until desired consistency is reached (water can also be used)
4. Frost cupcakes and garnish with a strawberry.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God, those looks AMAZING! I am definitely going to have to make these sometime!!!! Great, now I am craving blueberries and strawberries! haha. -Steph

    ReplyDelete